- *Updated COVID Statewide Restrictions: November 17-December 14th, 2020*
- Phase 2 Limited In-Store Retail Operations COVID-19 Requirements
- Interim Guidance for Businesses and Employers Responding to Coronavirus Disease 2019 (COVID-19) CDC
- Best Practices for Retail Food Stores, Restaurants, and Food Pick-Up/Delivery Services During the COVID-19 Pandemic, FDA
- Guidance for retail workers, OSHA
The following tips and tools came from peers in this business sector and are not official local, state, or federal guidance.
peer to peer tips:
- Create a COVID playbook and share with employees.
- Conduct COVID symptom screening for staff regularly.
- Communicate with employees about what you are doing to care for their safety. Engage them in why and what you are doing so they can articulate it well with customers.
- Practice with employees what to say when a customer is challenging.
- Encourage employees to share with leadership about experiences they are having and any support they might need.
- Keep in mind the stress that employees and customers are experiencing and adjust expectations around the heightened stress.
- Ensure clear signage in front of the business and within the business about safety requirements (e.g., maintaining physical distance of at least 6 feet between people).
- Run air purifiers and open windows.
- Offer hand sanitizer in multiple locations.
- Offer free masks if customer doesn’t bring one.
- Have a clear space in a back room to put merchandise (like clothing) for 24 hours of disinfecting.
- Offer curbside pickup.
- Increase options for online purchases.
- Offer no touch payment options.
- Install plexiglass barriers at checkout stations.
- Offer special hours for vulnerable populations.
- Have a clear return policy plan in place.
- Model health and safety practices and communicate clear expectations to staff and customers based on state guidance.
peer support message:
To be connected with peer support or technical assistance contact firstname.lastname@example.org.